"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

04 August 2017

Strength.


A foul night came on -- the dark of the moon -- and Zeus rained from dusk to dawn and on sodden West Wind raged. Odysseus spoke up now, keen to test the swineherd. Would he take his cloak off, hand it to his guest or at least tell one of his men to do the same? He acre for the stranger so, who ventured now, "Listen Eumaeus, and all you comrades here, allow me to sing my praises for a moment. Say it's the wine that leads me on, the wold wine that sets the wisest man to sing at the top of his lungs, laugh like a fool, -- it drives the man to dancing ... it even tempts him to blurt out stories better never told. But now I'm sounding off I can't hold back. Oh make me young again, and the strength inside me steady as a rock. Just as I was that day we sprang a sudden ambush against the Trojans.

Homer, from The Odyssey

No comments: